Search

Monday, October 26, 2015

Open House in Karlovac

We had an Open House at the Karlovac Branch Building on Friday, Oct. 23rd.  The members worked hard in preparing for the big event.  We cleaned and polished, we made posters, hung pictures, bought  flowers and food and put out the welcome mat.   Our little building looked sweet.  We had about 30 people come, most of them members.  A representative from a local homeless shelter and her husband came.  There was a short program with Predsjednik Raich conducting and President Grant presiding. We met an impressive young man who is to be baptized on October 31st in Zagreb.  He was very kind, as I struggled to speak Croatian to him.  I would speak and he would say, "Bravo"!
Table in the front foyer
I told him he was good for my ego, and he looked confused.  I then explained to him that ego means self-confidence.  He smiled at that.

We will be going to his baptism, but before that there will be a broadcast via Skype in commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the dedication of Yugoslavia for the preaching of the gospel.  The broadcast will originate at the ANM office, the exact site where President Monson dedicated this land on October 31, 1985.  After the broadcast, the baptism will take place.  We are excited to attend.
Lovely group!

We took the day off on Saturday (our 1st since arriving) and went to Plitvica National Park which is about an hour and a half away.  I have never seen anything so beautiful and breathtaking.  It is a place with many lakes and waterfalls.  I knew I would take a few pictures, but 300?  Good thing film is free.  It was the perfect time of year,  as the leaves were changing color and it reminded us of home.  On the way home we found a sweet little village named Slunj.  It was nestled on top of a group of smaller waterfalls.  We stopped there for dinner and had pizza at a local restaurant.  It looks like there are many rooms to rent for tourists, and I can see why.  It would be fun to spend a few days here.  Luckily, it is close enough for us to come for the day.

We are off to Dubrovnik for Senior Conference for a few days, so that is something to look forward to reading about next week!  I have my camera battery charged and I'm ready to go.  Let's see if I can break my record of 300 pictures...
The word of the week is:   prijatelj which means friend.
(pree yah tel)  We are making many here in Croatia!
  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so they have national parks there too? That sounds way cool, the landscape is quite different I'd imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so they have national parks there too? That sounds way cool, the landscape is quite different I'd imagine.

    ReplyDelete